Saturday, July 31, 2010

Little Me - Many Moons Ago

This is a picture of me, my two cousins and my late grandfather taken about 28 years ago. I remember thinking at the time that this was taken that my grandpa was super-strong for being able to squat and have 2 of us sitting on his laps, and the other leaning against him.

My grandpa, Tok Ba (it was what I called him) was a very strong man and utterly and irrevocably dedicated to being the breadwinner of his family. I spent many happy moments with him in my childhood and truly miss him now. All the time that I spent with him had always been full of joy and laughter.

One particular incident I remember to this day is when I visited him during Eid Festival (year, unknown). I was with my family and we decided to drop by his house to say hello. He was rather flustered as there wasn't enough food for all of us, and wanted to go out to buy some mee rebus (a type of noodles dish, which is one of the many delicious delicacies from Penang). I really really wanted to go with him on his scooter, so he said yes, to my joy, and off we went on his scooter, which made a funny 'phut, phut' sound as we rode along the streets of Penang. I remember the wind caressing my face and my hair being blown back, and the wonderfully free feeling as we 'phut-phutted' around cars and other motorbikes.

Finally we found what we were looking for, bought loads of mee rebus, and made our way back home. I still feel quite touched, even now, that he took me on his scooter with him for a ride and this is something that I will never ever forget.

I love my Tok Ba - May Allah bless him, wherever he is.



3 comments:

warnaka said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Asel said...

I feel sorry about your grandpa........:(

Kayla (Karina my mommy!)) Sorry. said...

I feel so sorry too! Why don't you go on anymore?!?!
Love ya a lot, Kayla.